Auburn Home Sustains Severe Heat And Smoke Damage

AUBURN – An Auburn home sustained extensive heat and smoke damage Thursday morning.

Assistant Fire Chief Darwin McCollum said no one was at home when firefighters arrived at 815 Ninth St. shortly after 10:30 a.m.

McCollum: “When I arrived at the scene, one side of the house was fully engulfed, coming out the window, coming out of the kitchen window.”

Firefighters were at a disadvantage because of the cold, it was 7 degrees with 28 mph wind gusts, and because the fire had a head start.

McCollum: “This fire smoldered for quite some time and then it finally reared its ugly head.”

McCollum said Auburn firefighters entered the house with a charged line from the fire engine and another team of two followed. Peru firefighters provided assistance with four firefighters that packed up and went inside and there were six firefighters on the exterior of the house.

McCollum: “I think we saved a lot on the back bedrooms of the house, but for the most part, unfortunately, it has a lot of damage and a lot of loss to it.”

A couple and two children have lived in the house for the past four years. County records list the owner as John Hoxmeier of Burlington, Ken.

The fire started with electrical wiring in the attic.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share: