NEBRASKA CITY – Nebraska City firefighters extinguished a house fire Sunday afternoon in about 12 minutes, despite wind gust over 30 mph.
A 911 call shortly after 1 p.m. described a fire in the yard of a house at 322 Central, but Fire Chief Alan Viox said firefighters arrived to find fire climbing an exterior wall.
Viox: “Basically what happened is they were out smoking a cigarette on the front porch and must’ve discarded it improperly. With the strong winds that we’ve got, caught the house, the structure on fire and it spread up the outside and the inside of the framing.”
By 1:23 p.m., the flames had been extinguished.
The cigarette caught a screen door that was sitting against a porch wall and some grass on fire.
Chief said he will describe damage as minor because it could have been a lot worse, had the woman visiting the house not reported the fire when she did.