Firefighters Respond To Smoke At Lourdes School

NEBRASKA CITY – Nebraska City firefighters extinguished a fire in a hallway ceiling on the east end of Lourdes Central Friday morning.

Assistant Fire Chief Dennis Marshall said maintenance staff at the school called the fire department about smoke before the fire alarms in the building went off.


Marshall: “We got here and immediately confirmed what they already knew, we had a lot of smoke. Trying to figure out where it was coming from was very difficult. It was up in the ceiling area. Eventually, the fire alarms did go off, of course, we were already here.”

Firefighters took down a portion of the ceiling on the east end of the hallway to locate the fire. Some insulation and wiring was burned.

Marshall said a fire response to a large building posed logistic challenges.

Marshall: “We had several firefighters in the building at once and trying to account for them, to make sure they are safe and keep track of where they are going can be challenging too.”

Principal Curt Feilmeier said the school has been undergoing some tuckpointing work and a metal strip near the ceiling had been worked on Thursday.

Nebraska City Rescue was responding to a heart patient at the Lied Lodge and Conference Center when the fire call at the school came in at 9 a.m.

A rescue crew that responded with the fire trucks, was then dispatched for a heart patient at Cargill at 9:05 a.m.

There were no injuries at the school.

 

 

 

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share: