NEBRASKA CITY – City officials presented an overview drawing for proposed soccer fields on cemetery land at NCTC’s Hot Topics meeting Wedesday.
Parks Commissioner Patrick Wehling said it will be 50 years before Wyuka Cemetery grows into the area, while the soccer program has immediate need.
A road will be integrated into future cemetery design and a bathroom is the only proposed structure. City officials say the land will be level and planted to grass when the cemetery board needs it.
Wehling said the main need is for soccer fields, but there is room there for baseball and softball practice fields for the 10 and under program.
The land will be landscaped and maintained by the city.
- There are 400 spaces available in existing cemetery
- 30 to 40 spaces are sold each year
- Conceptual drawing includes section for 40 years of cemetery growth
- Bathroom proposed for playing fields
- City parks department would maintain land