Johnson Woman Acts Swiftly To Survive House Fire

She did everything she had to in order to survive

- Nordhues

JOHNSON – A 68-year-old Johnson woman is credited for taking swift action early Sunday morning to survive a house fire.

Diane Gebers’ life was in peril when she awoke around  2:35 a.m. Flames were already pushing across the interior of her home and wind was driving the heat and smoke in her direction.

Her daughter, Sarah Nordhues, described the situation.

Nordhues: “She smelled the smoke. She opened up her door. She has pets and she wanted to try and get her pets out of the home. She succumbed to the smoke. It was just too much, so she had to shut her door.

“She barricaded underneath the door with a rug. She kicked out the screen of her window and she jumped out, ran to the neighbors so she could make the 911 call from there.”

Gebers, who moved to the house with her husband eight years ago, is active in the community and currently volunteers for the local newspaper. She is mourning the loss of a dog, cat and fish tank.

Nordhues: “She could see, actually from the neighbor’s house she could see it kept growing as they were waiting for the fire truck to arrive …  That her pets were perishing in the fire.”

Nordhues said the American Red cross responded with water for firefighters and a caring hand for her mother. “They were there for mom the whole time,” she said.

Gebers was checked out at the hospital and was released shortly after Nordhues arrived at 4:10 a.m.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share: