Tecumseh Firefighters Save 50-Year Home

They are awesome. They just got to work.

- Mandery

TECUMSEH – Tecumseh firefighters extinguished a fire Thursday afternoon at the 50-year home of David and Vicki Mandery.

Mandery said a neighbor dialed 911 to report the fire on South Fifth Street around 2 p.m.

Mandery: “Well, I wasn’t home. My wife was home. She smelled smoke and seen smoke and then she got the cat, got out of the house and then, the neighbor was out in the yard and they called the fire department and then they come up and got it out pretty quickly.”

He said the house filled with smoke as firefighters arrived.

Firefighters report that first responders also helped a cat that was struggling to breath escape from the residence.

Mandery: “Well they got air packs on went in and went down the basement. They started in the basement spraying water. That’s supposedly where it started. They got it out pretty quickly and got the fans out and got the smoke out.”

Vicky Mandery, who retired from the hospital, said she has known many of the firefighters most of their lives and joked they knew they better put the fire out.

Mandery: “They are awesome. They just got right to work. No questions asked, just went right about their business.”


Mandery, a retired city employee, said he expects smoke damage in the 115-year-old structure, but credited the volunteer firefighters for saving he and Vicki’s home of 50 years.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.