NORFOLK – This Wednesday, students across the nation will be walking out of their classrooms in protest of gun violence in the wake of the Stoneman Douglas shooting last month. The potential of a student walkout locally has some area administrators reminding students to follow attendance policies.
News Channel Nebraska reached out to 15 area high schools to gauge how they planned to handle any students that were planning to participate in the 17-minute walk-out. Most of the administrators polled said they weren’t aware of any planned walkouts.
Some of the districts, like Norfolk Public and O’Neill public, say that if students have prior permission from a parent, the walkout would be allowed and considered a an excused absence.
Stanton Superintendent Michael Sieh sits on the Nebraska County of School Administrators, who helped to draft a news release that said in part that their primary concern is student and staff safety, while also supporting the expression of concerns and participation in civl discourse.
Of Northeast Nebraska districts, South Sioux City’s has been the only one that has said they would allow students and staff to participate without prior permission.
The walkout is planned for 10 a.m. this Wednesday.