Fire Spreads Rapidly Through Workshop In Otoe

OTOE – Fire scorched Johny Bennett’s workshop along Otoe’s Main Street Wednesday afternoon.

Bennett had been welding to make body repairs to his pickup truck inside the building, when he noticed fire inside the cab of the truck.

He used a fire extinguisher and some nearby water, but said the fire spread too fast.

With his hands singed, he focused his attention on trying to pull the pickup out of the workshop. Once again, he said, the fire spread too rapidly for him to hook on the burning truck.

He said he knew the pickup had a full tank of gas and he was concerned about a number of acetylene tanks nearby.

Syracuse and Otoe firefighters arrived to see flames surging through of the 15-year-old building, erected at the former site of Stan Boldt’s garage.

Bennett said he also has a 1951 Chevrolet pickup in the building. He had been restoring the vehicle and was hoping firefighters could save it.

 

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share: