BEATRICE – A lone occupant was able to escape a house fire in east Beatrice late Thursday afternoon.
Fire Captain Corey Lieneman says flames were coming from the southeast corner of the home, where an attached garage is located.
:07 “throughout the house”
Firefighters encountered a leaking gas meter in the corner of the house.
:13 “burning off the gas”
A Black Hills Energy Crew was summoned to the scene to shut off the natural gas to the home…and the gas was shut off just prior to seven p.m.
Three cats were inside the home. Lieneman says one was out of the house and firefighters rescued another as the fire was being brought under control. Officials did not find the third animal. Firefighters had the fire under control in less than a half hour.
Firefighters cut a hole in the roof to get to the upper level fire and smoke.
:08 “the attic”
Lienemann says the fire likely started near the southeast part of the house.
A Nebraska State Fire Marshal Deputy traced the cause of the fire to a grill that had been used, and caught combustible material nearby, on fire. The fire department estimated the damage to the home at $25,000.
While firefighters were at that scene, another call was received to answer a vehicle fire, a few blocks to the west along Scott Street. Lieneman says the department’s aerial truck, which had been brought to the house fire, was dispatched to the vehicle fire in the ten-hundred block of Scott.
The fire in the engine compartment of a 2002 Ford Explorer caused $3,000 in damage. No one was injured.