McDonald’s Closes for a Week or Two after Grease Fire in Broken Bow

UPDATE:

BROKEN BOW–Local McDonald’s owner Greg Hall said the fire started after a fryer malfunctioned as an employee was performing a daily filtering and cleaning. The fire suppression system and a fire extinguisher were activated but were not enough to put out the fire. Hall said there were reports of flames seen from the roof through the exhaust system. Structurally speaking, the building is intact, according to Hall.

However, Hall reported that McDonald’s would be closed for a week or two due to the damage in the fryer area. The kitchen ceiling and lighting fixtures are to be replaced because of smoke and heat damage.

Hall and his brother have owned the Broken Bow location of the fast-food chain for about one year. Beginning April 16, the restaurant will undergo a scheduled remodel to give it a “more modern look” as Hall says, with new exterior and roof, new bathrooms and tile. The remodel will also feature some self-ordering kiosks.

Sunday Morning Grease Fire at Broken Bow McDonald’s (Click to view original story)

BROKEN BOW—No April Fool’s joke here. A snowy, Easter Sunday morning began with a grease fire at the McDonald’s in Broken Bow. Fire and EMS Coordinator Andy Holland said a grease fire started in the kitchen area of the restaurant around 7 a.m. on Sunday. He said there were no injuries.

Broken Bow Fire crews were able to get the fire under control, ventilated the building, and left the scene at 8:17 a.m. The restaurant’s fire suppression system had been activated according to Holland.

Holland reported that 15 firefighters responded to the McDonald’s fire, making this fire the 16th call for Broken Bow Fire since the start of 2018. KCNI/KBBN reached out to the staff at McDonald’s who confirmed the restaurant was open during the fire and that no injuries were reported.

This April Fool’s Day fire fell on the 11th anniversary of the Broken Bow south side fires which destroyed about five businesses on the square and required assistance from 13 area fire departments.

McDonald’s owner Greg Hall said the fire started after a fryer malfunctioned as an employee was performing a daily filtering and cleaning. The fire suppression system and a fire extinguisher were activated but were not enough to put out the fire. Hall said there were reports of flames seen from the roof through the exhaust system. Structurally speaking, the building is intact, according to Hall.

However, Hall reported that McDonald’s would be closed for a week or two due to the damage in the fryer area. The kitchen ceiling and lighting fixtures are to be replaced because of smoke and heat damage.

Hall and his brother have owned the Broken Bow location of the fast-food chain for about one year. Beginning April 16, the restaurant will undergo a scheduled remodel to give it a “more modern look” as Hall says, with new exterior and roof, new bathrooms and tile. The remodel will also feature some self-ordering kiosks.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share: