FAIRBURY – The smoke from Friday’s fire could be seen all around Fairbury’s downtown square. News Channel Nebraska spoke to some witnesses on Friday that heard a loud “boom” and seen black smoke immediately following.
On Friday evening, Fairbury Fire Chief Steve Zimmerman shared with News Channel Nebraska that a transformer had caused the fire in the alleyway between 5th and 6th Streets, off of D Street. Emergency responders were on scene and putting out the fire just minutes later.
News Channel Nebraska spoke with Jim Morehead from Fairbury Light and Water on Monday. He explained the lightning arrester on the transformer had been damaged. Morehead was unsure of how and when it got damaged, but said previous storms or lightning could have been a factor. Dry weather conditions or a bird could have caused the transformer to spark, starting the fire.