DES MOINES – The Peru State volleyball team surprised the undefeated Grand View team Monday night during their senior night and took the first set from the Vikings. However, Grand View was able to maintain its perfect season mark as they went on to take the next three sets to gain the final regular season game win.
Grand View won 20-25, 25-14, 25-18, 25-14 to improve to 29-0 overall and 18-0 in the Heart of America Athletic Conference (Heart). The Vikings were ranked second in the most recent NAIA poll.
The Vikings outhit the Bobcats .250 to .221. Yorgelys Jaspe finished with a game-high 17 kills and hit .500.
Claire Cudney and Taylor Thompson each finished with a game-high 17 digs.
With the loss, the Bobcats finished the regular season with a 12-20 record for the year and finished 8-10 in conference play.
The Bobcats will take on the second seed from the South Division â€“ Benedictine â€“ in Atchison, Kan., Saturday night at 5:30 p.m. in the Heart of America Athletic Conference Tournament.
2018 Heart Post-Season Tournament Bracket Announced
The 2018 Heart of America Athletic Conference (Heart) women’s volleyball tournament bracket was announced by the conference offices Monday night (Oct. 29). The tournament will begin on Halloween with first-round action. The champion will be crowned November 10. All matches are played at on-campus sites at the highest seed.
The Peru State Bobcats finished as the third seed in the North Division and will be traveling to Atchison, Kan., Saturday, Nov. 3, to face Benedictine, the second seed in the South Division, at 5:30 p.m.
The top seed and regular-season champion was Grand View (Iowa). Undefeated at 29-0 and ranked second in the NAIA, the Vikings have now won each of the last three Heart women’s volleyball regular-season titles â€“ the last two outright. The regular-season hardware clinches Grand View’s automatic berth to the NAIA National Championship tournament which will be played Nov. 27 â€“ Dec. 1 in Sioux City, Iowa.
The Bobcats finished the regular season with a 12-20 mark and an 8-10 conference mark. The Ravens finished 16-13 overall and 10-7 in the Heart South. In the only meeting of the year, Benedictine defeated Peru State 25-20, 20-25, 23-25, 25-21, 15-10 in Atchison on Sept. 21.
The rest of the Heart post-season brackets are as follows:
October 31 (First Round)
- #4 (South) Evangel (Mo.) hostsÂ #5 (North) Graceland (Iowa0, 7 p.m. CST
- #4 (North) Mount Mercy (Iowa) hosts #5 (South) Missouri Valley College, 7 p.m. CST
November 3Â (Quarterfinals)
- #1 (North) Grand View hosts Winner of #4 South/#5 North, 7 p.m. CST
- #1 (South) Central Methodist (Mo.) hostsÂ Winner of #5 South/#4 North, 11 a.m. CST
- #2 (South) Benedictine hostsÂ #3 (North) Peru State, 5:30 p.m. CST
- #2 (North) Clarke (Iowa) hosts #3 (South) Baker (Kan.), 1 p.m. CST
November 7Â (Semifinals)
- Quarterfinal Winners
November 10Â (Championship)
- Semifinal Winners
- Ten Teams â€“ Top 5 Teams From Each Division –Â High Seed Hosts – Single-elimination
- Grand View (regular-season champion) earns 1st auto berth to NAIA National Championship
- Two Automatic Berths to NAIA National Championship: Heart Regular-SeasonÂ Champion; Heart Tournament Champion. If team is the same, then 2nd berth goes to second-place team in the Heart conferenceÂ tournament
To follow the tournament, fans can go to: http://www.heartofamericaconference.com/Championships