16-year-old boy could be tried as an adult after ambush attack at Burke High

16-year-old boy could be tried as an adult after ambush attack at Burke High
World-Herald News Service

A 16-year-old student probably will face charges as an adult in Tuesday’s stabbing of his former girlfriend at Burke High School, Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said Wednesday.

Nick Cisar had been despondent over Lacey Paige, 15, breaking off their relationship, officials say.

Just before 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, authorities allege, he found out that Paige had gotten a hall pass to use the restroom. He then requested a pass of his own and ambushed Paige in a main-floor hallway, officials allege.

After Cisar stabbed her with a knife once, Paige ran down a set of school stairs. Her attacker then stabbed her a few more times outside the Junior ROTC assembly room, a law enforcement official said. She suffered three puncture wounds to the back and one stab wound to her stomach.

Cisar then tried to slash his own throat, authorities say.

An Omaha police school resource officer responded swiftly and tended to both — and authorities put the school, which is near 120th Street and West Dodge Road, on lockdown for about an hour.

Both Cisar and Paige were in serious condition Wednesday at Creighton University Medical Center-Bergan Mercy and are expected to survive.

Kleine said he would make a final decision on charges early next week.

A preliminary review suggests that the charges warrant adult court, even though Cisar has no criminal history, Kleine said. He pointed to the number of stab wounds — and the alleged intent.

“This thing was horrific,” he said.

Kleine dispelled two rumors circulating about the case. A fire alarm went off 20 minutes before the attack, but there’s no evidence to suggest that Cisar pulled the alarm, officials say. Cisar also had not been expelled from Burke before the attack, as some had suggested, Kleine said.

Burke students said on social media Wednesday that they were wearing white or blue for Paige. Several teachers posted photos of their students playing board games to decompress after the unsettling events of Tuesday.

There was an increased police presence at the school, and counselors were on hand if students wanted to talk, Omaha Public Schools spokeswoman Monique Farmer said. But the school day proceeded as usual.

“It seemed to be back to a state of normalcy,” Farmer said.

World-Herald staff writer

Alia Conley contributed to this report.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.

Share: