Southeast Nebraska bears brunt of thunderstorms that led to cancellation of Husker game

Southeast Nebraska bears brunt of thunderstorms that led to cancellation of Husker game
Morgan Peatrowsky of West Point, Nebraska, stands in the rain Saturday night as the crowd is cleared from the bleachers because of lightning. (RYAN SODERLIN/THE WORLD-HERALD)

Southeast Nebraska took the brunt of the thunderstorms that flowed through the state Saturday night and caused the first-ever cancellation of a Husker football game.

The most rain fell on the city of Hebron in Thayer County just southwest of Lincoln, according to the National Weather Service. Between 7 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday, Hebron collected 2.39 inches of rain, while 2.32 fell on Lincoln in Lancaster County, where Memorial Stadium is situated.

A flash flood warning for Lancaster County remains in effect until 7 a.m. Monday. Thunderstorms are expected to continue across central and eastern Nebraska through at least Wednesday.

“Unfortunately, this weather pattern is expected to continue into Wednesday and maybe later if the system stalls,” said Tony Zartman, a meteorologist with AccuWeather. “We see the storm systems stalling across the central part of the country, including central and eastern Nebraska and western Iowa.”

For the first time in recorded school history, Nebraska canceled a game because of weather, as persistent thunderstorms pelted the city. The game with Akron kicked off at 7:13 but immediately went into a weather delay when lightning struck near the stadium. NU announced the postponement at 9:55 p.m.

The western part of the state largely escaped the storms, although Chadron reported just over a half-inch of rain overnight Saturday. In eastern Nebraska, Eppley Airfield reported .55 inches of rain and Offutt Air Force Base in Bellevue recorded .79 inches.

Wahoo saw .63 inches of rainfall while Valley had .69, Fremont had .53 and Beatrice .42.

We strive for accuracy. Report a typo, inaccuracy, or mistake here.