Authorities have identified the man who died in his Council Bluffs apartment after it caught fire Jan. 8.
Charles Ruckman, 59, lived in one of the four units of an apartment building near North 30th Street and Avenue C.
The Council Bluffs Fire Department was called to the building about 3 p.m. after a neighbor saw heavy smoke coming from a window. The fire was extinguished quickly. Crews found Ruckman’s body when searching the building.
The Iowa State Medical Examiner’s Office completed an autopsy and said the preliminary cause of Ruckman’s death was smoke inhalation.